early photos of San Ignacio | 1916
San Ignacio Parish was founded by Fr. Joseph Arthuis of the Society of Jesus in 1916. Padre José, as he was lovingly known, was born in France in 1854. Once ordained and after several assignments in the United States, he was sent to Albuquerque, NM in 1907. Padre José was a passionate priest devoted to hearing confessions and saying Mass. He was assigned to San Felipe de Neri parish where families from the Santa Barbara/Martinez Town area went to receive sacraments and worship. Padre José was quick to see that there was a need for another church community in what was considered mission territory.
At the time, the Archdiocese of Santa Fe did not have funding to give help to the community to build a church. Padre José, however, saw the desire of the people and he helped them make their dreams a reality. He organized the people, identifying the resources within the community--both money and labor--and he tirelessly supported them in their task.
The people were deeply spiritual and they wanted the church to be the focal point of their community. They decided it was best to place it up on a hill, that it may be the high point that overlooks them as a sign of God's significance in their lives.
In 1976, San Ignacio parishioners published an extensive history of the first 60 years of the parish. If you would like to read it, please visit the parish office.
San Ignacio Catholic Church
1300 Walter Street NE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Since 1916, San Ignacio Catholic Church has been a small and faithful community located in the Santa Barbara/Martineztown neighborhood here in Albuquerque. Our humble church building and loving community make newcomers immediately feel connected and welcomed into a place with deep roots and open hearts striving to be examples of God's love.